Monday 8 August 2011

Monday 8th. August 2011

Having missed them on their way through in the Spring , I decided to see if I could catch up with Wheatear and Yellow Wagtail on their way back to warmer climes . I headed for RSPB Elmley , on the Isle of Sheppey , arriving in very mixed conditions , but still that very strong wind , made worse by the flatness of the reserve . The track from the road to the car park is usually good for picking up a few species , but today , it was like a cemetery . Had the cattle not been around , the only thing to look at was a pair of immature , I think , Marsh Harriers , that seemed to be playing in that wind . When they turned , it appeared that one had some food , possibly in it's talons , and the other was attempting to take it . Perhaps a practice at a food exchange ? Amongst the cattle mentioned , were a number of bulls , and I arrived at a gate almost at the same time as the farmer , who stopped his tractor and ran towards the animal which was lying on it's side . The farmer climbed the gate and shouted and whistled at the bull , which eventually got up , much to the relief of the farmer . Mind you , it looked a good animal , so not surprised the farmer was worried . The farmer's shouting and whistling did me a favour , disturbing two Brown Hares from the ditch side , and after a quick look to see what all the noise was about , ran off at speed into the distance . One Lapwing , one distant Kestrel and two Grey Heron later , I reached the car park . Very little apart from House Sparrows in the area , until I noticed a Swallow flying into the Gents toilet . Following , I found a brood of four , only just fitting into the nest , just behind the door , sittting very quiet . That was until the next visit from the adult , when it became each man , or woman , for themselves , to get the food . It won't be long till they fledge . A couple of marquees were being erected on the enclosed lawned area , which would explain why the car park was so quiet . I decided , that as it was so quiet along the track , I would not walk down to the hides , as the probability was that it would be just the same , so headed back down the track , finding these two very large cockerels with white flaps on the sides of their heads , looking like 'joke ears' . Only difference on the way back down were several juvenile Pied Wagtails like this one . I drove to Capel Fleet , and once off the main road , drove slowly along the lane , checking the wires and bushes alongside . A good sized flock of House Sparrows and a few Greenfinch wasn't much of a result . Near the raptor viewpoint , a male Kestrel was hovering with ease in the wind . A few seconds later , he dropped like a stone into the stubble in the field and probably caught a meal , as he didn't re-appear whilst I watched . Arriving at the Ferry Boat Inn , as far as you can go along the lane , and with the tide going out , I had a walk down to the waters edge , and I was pleased that I did , as I found 3/4 very mobile Wheatear around the high water line . I said very mobile , and as you can see , the one above was just about to lift off as I got the shot . A female Pheasant with seven youngsters and a distant Marsh Harrier were seen on the way back . I stopped just past the bend at Capel Fleet , seeing a small shape on a distant post . The shape did get closer and was joined by another . Two more Wheatear .Nearby , a flock of Starlings were following the cattle in the field , collecting the disturbed insects , and on checking with binoculars , found my other target species , a juvenile Yellow Wagtail . In the distance , a black bank of cloud was approaching , so I decided to call it a day and head home . As I passed the Elmley entrance , a Little Egret was circling some open water , and I just managed a shot before it dropped in and disappeared into the reedbed .
Two heavy showers on the way home , just hope weather for the next two days volunteering is a bit more settled .

5 comments:

Rob said...

I see what you mean about the Wheatear - looks like one foot off the post already.

Phil said...

Sounds like you made the best of a difficult day Greenie. I thought about Elmley today (tuesday) but then remembered it would be shut, so I think i'll give good old Dungeness a visit.

Alan Pavey said...

Hi Greenie, glad you got your target species, the wind up there can be pretty relentless.

Marc Heath said...

Nice shots, particularly like the open mouthed Swallows.

Warren Baker said...

I'm hoping for Yellow Wag. here soon Greenie. Great action shot of that Kestrel :-)